Friday, December 3, 2010

Harrisburg, PA Aug 2010: Saturday


Welcome to my new blog. I wrote the first several entries several months ago, before I learned how to publish, so there is a small time warp here, but we'll catch up...here we go:
We are finally getting settled enough in our new home, Philadelphia, a place I never wanted to live. We moved here after 25 years in Arizona, so you can imagine the cultural displacement I feel.  But it’s pretty here, and the people are nice, a gentle living of Americana, at least in my neighborhood.  And I've felt a lot better about things after we got the fence built.  It’s perfect for the dogs, a safe perimeter around our big square of grass and trees and bushes.
We are here because my husband, who is 55 years old, is a first year resident in podiatry at Penn. We turned midlife crisis into productivity, and he is sucking it all in, working long hours, helping many people.  He’s having the time of his life. 
We’ve been here since mid-June, arriving just in time for the all-time record-breaking East Coast 40+ day heatwave which made us all just miserable.  
Finally in August the temperature kindly took a dive into the tolerable 80s as Jim and I left our cozy neighborhood for the expressways through Philadelphia and on to Harrisburg, 2 hours west, to our first show weekend on the East Coast.  


The shows were all I’d hoped they would be, and more.  I met as many people as I could, both around the ring and at the yummy potluck held afterwards.  I found many like-minded new friends, and   it was refreshing to hear new lines of thinking, whether or not I agree.
The excitement of the show for us at SunDiata was our brace, Taffanel and her mama, Chaminade.  There was enthusiastic applause as our two little red girls paced each other carefully around the ring, turning nicely together on the down and back.  I think we liked this, and will try it again sometime.  The only part I hadn’t prepared for, I didn’t realize, was that I had to lift them both, together, to the table for examination. Seems to me, in the interest of healthy backs and so on, the Basenji brace could be judged on the ground.  
 


 ar

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris,
    Just web browsing and found you.
    This is Bill Thurman, owner of Ringo and Kokopelli.
    Hope all is well with you. See you are out in PA. what a change that must be for you. Ringo and Kokopelli are still doing well. Kokopelli is getting pretty old. She is almost deaf. If you surprise her she jumps. Love these dogs!
    Liked your story of the AZ wolves.

    Take care, Bill

    ReplyDelete